Friday, January 16, 2009

What a Week...What a Church

This past week has been one of those weeks that makes me glad to be a part of Nashwauk Alliance. In some ways, it was a terrible week. The chairman of our Trustees, Bill Hansen, suffered a massive stroke a week ago. Fred and Sandy instantly drove down to Duluth to be with the family as I started the prayer chain. I spent Saturday with the family and came home Saturday night emotionally drained.

During Sunday's service I got a phone call that Bill was fading...fast. We changed the direction of the service, and again the Whytes drove down to Duluth and were there with the family as Bill went home to be with Jesus.

The funeral arrangements were well handled by our deaconesses and a crew of people who set up tables and chairs, brought food and took care of all of the details.

As I step back and look at all that was done, I have to say that I am proud of the people here. I'm glad that the elders took a step of faith and called Fred to be Assistant Pastor. His smile, concern and wonderful way with people was much used by God this week. The deaconesses and other volunteers who gave of the their time in order to minister to the Hansen family were inspiring. The building seemed to pulse with the love of Christ.

What really amazes me is that this was happening on top of everything else that was scheduled for the week. Bible Studies, Release Time, the Ladies Ecumenical Dinner, setting up for 2 weeks of non-stop prayer, a Board Meeting...the list goes on and on.

There are times that the Lord really blows my mind. Frequently he does it through the people of this wonderful church.

Thanks for being you.

Karl

No comments: