Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Who Is My God?

We live in a land of endless choices, where we can fashion most things to be the way we want them to be. Just think about how the decisions we make have become more complicated:
  • Coffee: It used to be either black, with cream, or with sugar. Then they added decaf. But now, you have to decide what type of coffee "obsidian, java, hawaiian, etc.", what flavor creamer, whether you want a latte or an espresso...
  • Television. I won't even mention the different types of TVs, but think about the programming that is available. If you don't like what you are watching, press a button and find something you like. If you want to watch it later, push record and "presto" you can watch it when ever you want.
  • Toothbrushes. Why are there so many kinds?
My list could go on, but you know what I am talking about. These choices are created by companies looking to segment the marketplace to make room for their particular product. It gives us, the consumer, a chance to tailor things to exactly how we want them. It's kind of like a mailing I received from a store recently. It was a "flip book" where you could change the hair, face and shirt to find the combination that you liked best.

I think that this flip-book living spills over into our religion sometimes. Instead of searching to discover who God is and developing a relationship with Him as he really is, we fashion our own "god" to meet our preferences and needs. We take a little of this or a little of that and make our own god. It's a little like playing with Mr. Potatohead, only with a halo.

Some people's "god" is like a rich uncle who, if asked in just the right way, might get them out of a jam. For others, "god" is a loving teddy bear who gives everyone a warm feeling. For still others, "god" is a cruel tyrant who allows suffering to run amuck in this world. Some people have the god who only likes classical music, or the god who helps them stay motivated to make money, lose weight, whatever.

Why do we do this? I believe that the heart of it is rebellion against God himself. We would rather be in control of God than have to submit to the fact that He is our maker and we are responsible before him.

I struggle with idols, too. Sometimes in my sermon preparation I am studying a passage that makes me extremely uncomfortable. God has revealed who He is in the Bible, so when that revelation runs contrary to what I desire God to be like, I have a decision to make: I can either submit to who God truly is, or I can form an idol...a caricature of God...that makes me more comfortable.

Over the years, I've discovered two important truths. First, God is good at smashing idols. He refuses to be Mr. Potatohead. When they have formed in my life, God works through my circumstances to demolish them. He wants to be worshiped for who He is. Second, the aspect of God that I "dislike" is actually beautiful. As I begin to see Him more clearly, that facet of his nature becomes incredibly endearing to me.

I've taken to asking God to reveal more of Himself to me, and to point out the smallest of idols in my life that would detract from His glory.

How about you?

No comments: