Thursday, September 10, 2009

I'd Rather Cancel Christmas...

Each fall as the Missions Conference rolls around I stand in front of the church say something like, "I enjoy the missions conference so much that if I had to choose between Christmas and the missions conference, it wouldn't even be close. The missions conference would win by a mile." I've never really explained why that is so. It goes way beyond the over-commericalization of Christmas.

At its best, Christmas is a time to reflect on one of the most incredible events in all of human history. The fact that God became a man and made his dwelling among us is worth contemplating and celebrating. The incarnation is one of the most central parts of the Christian faith. Without the incarnation there would be no cross, no resurrection, no forgiveness of sin, no reconciliation with the Father. It is worth remembering in a special way.

The missions conference, on the other hand is not about the past at all. It is about what God is doing today...in our day. Whatever part of the world we focus on in our missions conference, exciting things are happening. Missionaries are knocking with increasing fervency on doors long closed. Other doors are beginning to open for the very first time. Still others are wide open and multitudes are flooding into the Kingdom. Other doors have been open so long that new missionaries are flooding out of those countries, carrying the good news around the globe. This is worth learning about and celebrating! But that's not the real reason I prefer the missions conference to Christmas.

As much as I enjoy contemplating the incarnation at Christmas, my deepest longing is to see Jesus face to face. My greatest hunger is for HIM. He himself told us that "this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to the nations, and then the end will come." You see, with every new people reached, every new church planted where there was no church, every soul gathered, we are just that much closer to seeing Him. The missionary effort paves the way for his return. The missions conference is about what God is doing now to prepare for that day.

As much as I cherish his first coming, my greater desire is for his second coming. On that day my greatest longing will be fulfilled, for I will see Him. THAT is the reason I prefer the missions conference to Christmas.

No comments: