Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Servants of Christ

This Sunday we will be starting a new sermon series. We will be working our way through the book of Romans. I am approaching this series with both fear and excitement. Romans is one of my favorite books, but at the same time it is one of the most challenging books in the Bible.

The truth is that as I have considered where to head next in preaching, Romans has always been near the bottom of the list because it can be a little intimidating. As much as I have studied it, I still feel like I'm standing ankle deep in the ocean of what is to be found in the book. It is a book that I treasure, but to stand and expound upon its truth seems beyond my limited abilities.

Over the last several weeks, as I have sought God's direction, the Holy Spirit has clearly spoken to my heart that it is time to start this awesome book. At moments like this I am reminded of two important facts. The first is that I (and we) need to be taught by the Holy Spirit. Book learning and "common sense" simply won't cut it. I need the Holy Spirit's instruction as I prepare each week. The Holy Spirit needs to guide my study, my prayer and my writing.

The second is a truth that is found in the first sentence of the book of Romans. Paul considered himself a servant of Christ. So should we. For me, that means that because the Lord spoke to me that Romans is next, I need to be obedient to that directive and jump in with both feet believing that His guidance, as always, will be true.

Let's together ask God to amaze us as we work our way through this incredible book!

"Romans is worthy not only that every Christian should know it word for word, by heart, but occupy himself with it every day, as the daily bread of the soul. It can never be read or pondered too much, and the more it is dealt with the more precious it becomes, and the better it tastes." - Martin Luther, Preface to the Epistle to the Romans, (1522).

-Pastor Karl

No comments: